Shop Safely Online This Holiday Season
The holidays are quickly approaching, and online shopping offers a great convenience for consumers. However, this convenience also provides an opportunity for cyber criminals to target shoppers. Taking simple precautions can ensure that your personal information stays safe when shopping online.
Review these online shopping tips to have a safer shopping experience:
- Use familiar and secure websites, and avoid sites that seem suspicious or too good to be true.
- Avoid providing unnecessary information, and limit the amount of financial information you provide when shopping online.
- Regularly check your electronic statements for your credit card, debit card, and checking account, and be on the lookout for any fraudulent charges.
- Install an anti-virus program to protect your computer from malware.
- Use a credit card or online payment service to put one more layer of security between your purchases and your bank account.
- Do not use a public computer for online shopping, and always remember to log out of any accounts when finished.
- Use strong, unique passwords, and change them frequently.
- Use trusted apps licensed by retailers when shopping from a mobile device.
- Only use secure connections and never shop on unsecured wireless networks.
- Do not click on links sent in emails, rather, type out the address in your browser to make sure you are not falling victim to a phishing scam.
- Keep your device up to date, including your preferred internet browser.
Online shopping always comes with an inherent risk, but being cautious and conscious when shopping will keep you better protected against cyber criminals this holiday season as you continue checking items off your shopping list.