The following information will help you to migrate your CyMail account to an Alumni Association Account upon graduating from ISU, which will allow you to keep your CyMail messages even after the account has been closed. You can also migrate to a Gmail account, or migrate to another email service of your choosing. You should also remember to forward your CyMail using ASW.
Create Your New Alumni Association Account and Migrate Your Email from CyMail
- Open a browser and fill out the Alumni Association account request form.
- After receiving your username and temporary password, log into CyMail to ensure forwarding is enabled:
- Log into CyMail
- Click on the gear icon at the top right
- Select Settings
- Click on Forwarding and POP/IMAP
- Select enable POP for all mail (even mail that’s already been downloaded)
- Click Save Changes
- Click on Accounts
- Click on Google Account settings.
- Click on Connected apps & sites under the Sign-in & Security section
- Turn Allow less secure apps: ON.
- Go to www.gmail.com and log in with the user name you chose in step 1 and temporary password and follow the prompts to change your password.
- After changing your password, click the blue "Options" icon in the upper-right corner and select "Mail Settings".
- Click the "Accounts and Import" tab.
- In the "Check mail using POP3" section click "Add POP3 email account".
- In the pop-up window, enter your CyMail address (Net-ID@iastate.edu) and click "Next Step".
- Enter your CyMail password and select "pop.gmail.com" from the POP server dropdown list and click "Add Account".
- On the next screen check "No," then "Finish". (If you select "Yes", you will not be able to receive replies to your emails once your old CyMail account is disabled.)
After completing these steps, your new alumni account will import all mail from your CyMail account. This import may take some time, and will continue even if you log out of your new account.