You can use an SFTP client to manage your files in AFS, including your public website files, which will allow multiple file uploads simultaneously.
FileZilla is now available for Windows and Macintosh computers. These instructions are for Windows computers using FileZilla 3.5.5. Download and install FileZilla. Once you have downloaded and installed FileZilla, follow these instructions for connecting to AFS.
- Open FileZilla.
- Under the File menu, select Site Manager.
- Click New Site.
- Select the new site, type "Iowa State" and press enter to name the site. Note: You can also click the Rename button on the left to change the name to "Iowa State."
- For Host enter: sftp.iastate.edu
- For Protocol select: SFTP - SSH File Transfer Protocol
- For Logon Type select: Ask for password
- For User: YourNet-ID
- Click Connect.
- When prompted, enter your Iowa State Net-ID password and check the box next to "Remember password for this session" to avoid being asked to re-enter your password repeatedly.
- When the Unknown host key box appears, check the "Always trust this host, add this key to the cache" and click OK.
- You should now see your AFS file directory on the right side of the screen under Remote Site.
Fetch is the recommended SFTP client for Macintosh computers. Download and install Fetch(You will need to log in with your ISU Net-ID and password to access this page.). Once you have downloaded and installed Fetch, follow these instructions for connecting to AFS.
- Open Fetch.
- When you first open Fetch, the New Connection dialog box should appear. If it does not, under the File Menu, select New Connection.
- For Hostname enter: sftp.iastate.edu
- For Username: YourNet-ID
- For Connect using select: SFTP
- For Password: Your Net-ID password
- Click Connect.
- Your AFS files should appear in the window
You can also use Dreamweaver to manage your public website files on AFS. These instructions are based on Dreamweaver CS5.5.
- Open Dreamweaver.
- Select Dreamweaver >Preferences.
- Click Site.
- Click "Manage Sites".
- If you have not configured any sites, the New Site dialog appears immediately. If it does not, click "New...".
- Enter your choice for "Site name" (e.g., "isu sftp") and the local site folder for your website files in the Site Setup box.
- Click Servers on the left hand side of the screen.
- Click the plus sign to add a server.
- Under the basic tab, enter:
- Server name: ISU SFTP
- Connect using: SFTP
- SFTP Address: sftp.iastate.edu
- Port 22
- Username: your Net-ID
- Password: your Net-ID password
- Click to save this information if you want
- Root directory: "WWW"
- Web URL " your destination webpage URL. ex. yournetid.public.iastate.edu
- Click Save
- Click Save again.
- Cilck Done.
- Click OK.