The following information will guide you through the process of accessing Iowa State's computer network from off campus using its virtual private network (VPN).
Install the AnyConnect VPN Client
- Open a browser and go to https://vpn.iastate.edu.
- Make sure the Group field is set to SSLvpn and log in with your Net-ID and password.
- If prompted with a warning about ActiveX controls, click "Allow".
- Follow the prompts as the VPN server checks your browser and system and installs the VPN on your computer.
- If prompted with a warning about an applet from 'vpn2.tele.iastate.edu', click "Run," "Allow," or "Trust".
- When the installation is complete, you will be connected to the VPN service.
If you experience problems installing the VPN client, try the following steps:
- Use a different browser to download the VPN client.
- Turn off the pop-up blocker in your browser.
- Make sure you have the latest version of Java by visiting http://www.java.com.
- When prompted to do the auto-configuration via ActiveX, click Cancel and manually install VPN.
- Make sure all traces of the old VPN client are gone by checking under "C:/Program Files" under "Cisco" or "Cisco connect".
Access Iowa State's VPN
Once the AnyConnect VPN client is successfully installed, you can connect to Iowa State's VPN through the website listed above or with the AnyConnect client on your computer.
Access Iowa State's VPN from the Website
- Open a browser and go to https://vpn.iastate.edu. Make sure the Group field is set to SSLvpn and log in with your Net-ID and password.
- You are now connected to ISU's VPN.
Access Iowa State's VPN using the AnyConnect VPN Client
- Launch the AnyConnect VPN Client in Applications > Cisco > AnyConnect.
- Enter "vpn.iastate.edu" into the Connect box and press "Connect".
- Make sure the Group field is set to SSLvpn, enter your Net-ID and password and click "Ok".
Windows & Linux
- Click the Start menu, select Programs > Cisco > AnyConnect VPN Client.
- Enter "vpn.iastate.edu" in the Connect to box and press "Enter".
- If prompted, choose "Accept".
- Make sure the Group field is set to SSLvpn, enter your Net-ID and password and click "Connect".
Access Iowa State's VPN from your mobile device
- Install Cisco AnyConnect client from your device's app store.
- Configure it to connect to vpn.iastate.edu.
- Sign in with your ISU Net-ID and password.
Disconnect from Iowa State's VPN
- Double-click the AnyConnect VPN icon in the dock and click "Disconnect".
Windows & Linux
- Right-click the VPN icon in the system tray and select "disconnect".