Sponsored Net-IDs are available to provide temporary access to select university IT services for a specific business purpose.
Types of Sponsored Net-IDs
Types of sponsored Net-IDs:
- Existing: Sponsor the continued existence of the existing Net-ID of a departing student or employee.
- Affiliate: Sponsor a new Net-ID for a person who is neither a student nor employee of Iowa State and may still be eligible to receive a Net-ID as long as they are affiliated with the university in some way. This affiliation can be as a visiting scholar, scientist, researcher, or for another university business purpose, as determined by the administrative officer or their delegate.
- Role: Sponsor a new Net-ID for a university business function (e.g., a "departmental" Net-ID).
- Secondary: Sponsor a new Net-ID for a student employee (typically for the purposes of an Exchange mailbox/calendar).
New Approval Process
The new approval process is:
- A university employee may request to sponsor a Net-ID by logging into ASW and selecting "Manage Sponsored Net-IDs" followed by "Request a Sponsored Net-ID".
- The request will be forwarded to a university administrative officer for approval. (Administrative officers may delegate this right to others by logging into ASW and selecting "Manage Sponsored Net-IDs" followed by "Manage Sponsorship Delegation".
- To review and approve (or deny) a sponsorship request, the administrative officer or delegate will log into ASW and select "Manage Sponsored Net-IDs" followed by "Review/Approve Sponsorship Requests". Note that delegates may not approve their own requests.
Renewing Sponsored Net-IDs
The approver of a sponsored Net-ID is responsible for reviewing the purpose of the Net-ID and for working with the sponsor to terminate the Net-ID when appropriate. It is expected that the sponsored Net-ID will be terminated when that business purpose has been fulfilled. As is the case now, sponsored Net-IDs will need to be renewed annually or semiannually depending on the purpose.
Must be reviewed/reapproved every fall (by October 1).
Existing, Affiliate, and Secondary Net-IDs:
Must be reviewed/renewed every spring (by March 1) and fall (by October 1).
The renewal reminder will be sent to the sponsor of the Net-ID. If the sponsor wishes to renew the Net-ID, they will need to send the reminder to an authorized approver.
The Net-ID suspension procedure are described in the following:
Sponsored Net-IDs for Student Employees
An employee (non-C/XH-base) is able to sponsor a Net-ID for their student employees without further approval. The main purpose of these Net-IDs is to provide an Exchange mailbox and calendar to a student employee. In this case, the sponsored Net-ID is linked to the student's primary Net-ID and both will be suspended when the student leaves the university. Renewal follows the same procedure as other sponsored Net-IDs.