Sponsored Net-IDs are available to provide temporary access to select university IT services for a specific business purpose.
Types of Sponsored Net-IDs
Types of sponsored Net-IDs:
- Existing: Sponsor the continued existence of an existing student or employee Net-ID
- Affiliate: Sponsor a new Net-ID for a person who is neither a student nor employee of Iowa State (e.g., visiting scholar, scientist, researcher, or for another university business purpose as determined by the administrative officer or their delegate)
- Role: Sponsor a new Net-ID for a university business function (e.g., a "departmental" Net-ID)
- Secondary: Sponsor a new Net-ID for a student employee (typically for the purposes of an Exchange mailbox/calendar)
Request a Sponsored Net-ID
A university employee may request to sponsor a Net-ID by:
The administrative officer or delegate reviews and approves (or denies) a sponsorship request:
- Log into ASW
- Select 'Manage Sponsored Net-IDs' followed by 'Review/Approve Sponsorship Requests'
Note: Delegates may not approve their own requests.
An administrative officer may delegate this right to others by:
- Log into ASW
- Select 'Manage Sponsored Net-IDs' followed by 'Manage Sponsorship Delegation'
Renewing Sponsored Net-IDs
The approver of a sponsored Net-ID is responsible for reviewing the purpose of the Net-ID and for working with the sponsor to terminate the Net-ID when appropriate. It is expected that the sponsored Net-ID will be terminated when that business purpose has been fulfilled.
To renew a sponsored Net-ID:
- A renewal reminder will be sent to the sponsor of the Net-ID
- If the sponsor wishes to renew the Net-ID, they will send the reminder to an authorized approver
Sponsored Net-IDs need to be renewed depending on the purpose:
Role Net-IDs: Must be reviewed/reapproved every fall (by October 1).
Existing, Affiliate, and Secondary Net-IDs: Must be reviewed/renewed every spring (by March 1) and fall (by October 1).
The Net-ID suspension procedure are described in the following: