Iowa State University uses Microsoft's Exchange server to manage faculty and staff email. All faculty and staff receive an Exchange account upon employment. Your university email address is the same as your Net-ID. For example, if your Net-ID is "jdoe," your email address is "firstname.lastname@example.org."
To access your university email, follow the instructions to Register for a Net-ID.
Your Net-ID will be fully functional within 24 hours and you can then access your university email by going to Outlook Web App and logging in with your Net-ID and password.
You also have the option to use several email clients with your ISU Exchange email account. See Requirements below for more information.
Please note: If you are accessing sensitive data in email form from an off-campus connection, be sure to use a VPN in order to comply to Iowa State's high standards of data security.
Deleted Messages and Junk Email
Items in the Deleted Items and Junk Email folder in your Exchange email program older than 30 days will be automatically deleted from the system.
When you leave ISU, your Net-ID account will be suspended following your last day of work. Emails sent to suspended employee accounts will generate automatic replies that inform the sender that you are no longer with the university and can include a new personal email address where the sender can contact you. To learn about the suspension process and how to set up a personal email address to include in the automated reply, see Net-ID Suspension.
- Integrated email and calendaring
- Integration and support for mobile devices (Android, Blackberry, iOS, Windows Mobile)
- A robust web-based email service, Outlook Web App
- Increased email security
- 25GB of email storage
- Flexible out-of-office notification for both on- and off-campus addresses
- Operating system support and integration for both Microsoft Windows users and Macintosh users with Apple's Snow Leopard (Mac OS X 10.6) operating system
- Self-service ability to recover inadvertently deleted email, calendar appointments, and contacts. Note: Items in the Deleted Items and Junk Email folder in your Exchange email program older than 30 days will be automatically deleted from the system.
- Access to the Global Address List (GAL). The GAL is a list accessible through Exchange native email clients (such as Outlook, Entourage, Mac OS X Mail/Address Book, Androids, iPhones/iPod Touches/iPads (iOS devices), Blackberries, Windows mobile phones and Outlook Web App) that contains the email addresses of all faculty, staff, and students on campus. The information stored here is very similar to the online address book found on the Iowa State homepage.
- An Exchange-compatible email client such as:
- Outlook 2010 (Windows) [Recommended]
- Outlook 2011 (Mac OS X) [Recommended]
- Entourage 2008 Web Services Edition (Mac OS X)
- Mac OS X Mail (Mac OS X)
- Or, Outlook Web App (OWA). OWA requires a modern web browser such as:
This is a common good service available to ISU faculty and staff at no charge.